Are you in search of truly unique flooring for your home? Do you tend to think outside the box, and do you love creative innovations and art? Then you might want to check out 3D flooring. The term itself sounds weird (how can a floor be 3D, right?), but once you see what this flooring it might just blow your mind!
Jaw-Dropping 3D Floor Murals: How They Do It
Designing a three-dimensional floor does require a few steps, as it isn’t something that you can do with a single flooring layer.
1. First, the floor needs to be checked for signs of moisture, and then it needs to be prepared, scrubbed, and cleaned to smooth it out and remove all dust. Even the humidity level in the room needs to be extremely low in order to prevent the new floor from peeling shortly after installation.
2. Once the floor is prepped, it’s time to make some 3D magic. A self-leveling primer is set down in a layer. Then, whatever image you choose is placed on the floor. This could be anything from photos of a deep forest, to flowers or even underwater sea life. Your imagination can really run wild, and with so many options to choose from, you can find the floor art that will complement and enhance the rest of the design scheme in the room.
3. After the image is placed, the work isn’t over just yet. The next step involves applying a couple of layers of polyurethane or a two-component epoxy. Because this layer is transparent, it needs to be totally clean. The image underneath will show through clearly, but there will be the illusion of depth, so the floor will be perceived as three-dimensional. This is how the mind-blowingly realistic effects of 3D flooring are achieved. Neat, right?
4. To finish the floor design, a layer of protective varnish could be applied for increased durability. This can help protect your new flooring against wear and tear and other damage, and it can also make your floors easier to keep clean.
This installation process may seem straightforward enough, but the truth is that it does take time and expertise. In fact, it can take a few days for this flooring to be properly installed for perfect, long-lasting results.
More Than Just an Interesting Floor Design
3D epoxy flooring is gaining popularity for several reasons. Sure, the floors look surprisingly realistic, but there are other perks that you can take advantage of.
- This flooring is extremely durable, thanks to the fact that epoxy is super strong, as well as resistant to bleach and cleaners. A 3D floor can last 15 or more years when it’s installed and cared for properly, and it will look just as good as the day it was set into place.
- These floors are smooth and flat, and they don’t have any seams or gaps. This uniformity makes it easy to maintain the floors, which won’t absorb chemicals, water, or dirt.
- The materials that are used in this flooring can help repel bacteria, and these floors aren’t prone to collecting dust. Plus, the materials are also considered safe, as they don’t emit fumes or odors, and they’re even fire resistant. Nice!
A Few Things to Consider Before Choosing 3D Flooring
So far, 3D flooring sounds pretty fabulous, doesn’t it? It’s durable, as well as easy to clean and maintain. And it offers you the opportunity to have one-of-a-kind designs added to the floors throughout your home, from your kitchen and bathroom, to your bedroom, living room, and beyond. But before you make the final decision to have this flooring installed, there are a few drawbacks that you should consider, too.
One downside of 3D flooring is that it’s expensive. You need to hire pros who really know what they’re doing, and who have the tools and materials necessary to prepare your floors and lay down the image so that it’s seamless and spotless. A big problem, too, is that these professionals can be difficult to find. There aren’t many flooring installation companies that offer 3D floor options (at least, not yet), despite the growing demand. So, in addition to the cost of labor and supplies, you might end up paying a premium just because this flooring is so hard to come by.
Also, once all of the layers are set into place, the flooring needs to cure completely before you can walk on it, and that could take up to a week. Yikes! Unlike other floorings that can be installed much more efficiently, you’ll need to make arrangements to avoid the room that’s being worked on for several days when 3D floors are installed.
Another thing to think about: 3D flooring might be something that you love, but it may not appeal to all people. And, once installed, it could be difficult, expensive, and time-consuming to remove and replace. If you’re thinking about the long-term value of your property, including how easy it will be to sell when you decide to move, consider that your 3D floor might be a turn-off to buyers.
Finally, 3D floors can be cold under your feet, much like concrete or tiles. They may not be appropriate for certain rooms where you’d want the floor to feel warmer, such as your bedroom. Also, if you’re looking for flooring that could trap heat to help reduce energy costs in the winter, this isn’t the best choice. And adding an area rug to the floor for extra comfort pretty much defeats the purpose of the 3D design because you’d end up covering it up.
Don’t Worry, There Are Other Beautiful Flooring Options Available!
Sure, 3D flooring is pretty amazing with its eye-catching designs and illusion of depth. But is it practical? Not in all rooms, and not in all homes. Thankfully, though, there are plenty of other lovely flooring options, from tile to laminate, that you can choose from. These will help boost the value of your home because they’re attractive, easy to maintain, and long-lasting.
At Denver Carpet & Flooring, we don’t currently offer this new trend in the flooring world, but we do offer everything from hardwood and vinyl, to a range of tiles and carpets to suit any room. You can still let your creative juices flow, as there’s a multitude of patterns and colors in all of these flooring categories, but you won’t have to break the bank, and we can have your new floors installed quickly so you can start enjoying them right away. Contact us today to get more information and to launch your next flooring project!